LANCHESTER SHOP LEAFLET
A Publicity Flyer from Waldo & Muriel
Lanchester's Puppet Shop at 39 Henley Street, Stratford
Reference to the "Shakespeare Memorial
Theatre" would date this flyer pre-1960s, as the Theatre
was re-named the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in 1961.
BANDSMAN BY JACK WHITEHEAD
FOR WALDO LANCHESTER
One of five Bandsmen (conductor and
four instrumentalists) made by Jack Whitehead for Waldo
Lanchester, currently in the collection of the British
Puppet & Model Theatre Guild. It is doubtful that
Waldo ever performed these figures, but they made a fine
display in his shop.
The head is carved in such a way that the cheeks puff
out very effectively at the pull of a string.
LANCHESTER'S UNDERWATER BALLET
Two marionettes from Waldo
Lanchester's Underwater Ballet currently in the
collection of the British Puppet & Model Theatre Guild.
The Underwater Ballet remained unaltered, except for
some replacement fish, throughout its long life from
1939 to the retirement of Waldo's large stage in 1958.
The original flat cut-out fish were replaced by more
elaborate three-dimensional ones in the 1950s by Frank
KNAVE OF HEARTS BY
Glanville, a highly respected British puppeteer, was
renowned for her particularly striking sculpted heads
and highly skilled marionette manipulation. She is best
remembered for her work as puppet maker and Chief
Puppeteer on Gerry Anderson’s many TV marionette series,
such as “Torchy”, “Stingray”, “Captain Scarlet” etc.
The Knave of Hearts (above) is from a Stage Tour in the
1970s. Christine’s stage work at that time was mainly
using rod puppets. These were often larger rod puppet
versions of marionette characters from the TV series she
worked on, such as Rupert the Bear and Thunderbirds.
The head, hands and torso of the Knave of Hearts are
beautifully sculpted and cast in fibre glass. The
puppet and costume were restored in 2000 by Glenn