The BBC Television Puppet Theatre was housed
initially in a 'tin shed' between the main studios and
the canteen at the BBC's Lime Grove Studios,
Shepherd's Bush; later moving to a purpose-built studio
at BBC Television Centre. In the picture
above, camera angles are being worked out for a
production of "The Emperor's New Clothes."
from "The Petrified Princess"
Under the stewardship of Gordon Murray, over 50
plays were written or adapted for marionettes and
transmitted live between 1955 and 1964; the most popular
of these productions being "Rubovian Legends."
Other members of the Puppet Theatre Company included
Andrew & Margaret Brownfoot, Bob Bura & John
Hardwick and Molly Gibson & Audrey Atterbury.
from "The Winkleburg Armourer"
after moving to Television Centre in 1961, the BBC
merged its Children's Programmes and Women's Programmes.
This signalled the start of a gradual scaling down of
puppet productions, which finally ended in 1964 with the
Puppet Company being disbanded and the purpose-built
Puppet Theatre Studio falling into disuse. It
would be another two years before Gordon Murray produced
his next puppet production - Camberwick Green -
but now using stop-motion animation instead of